Saturday, August 1, 2009

Best in Class

Recently I've started a new job doing some transcription for my teacher Mary MacNab. There's an art to it and some people are just better at it than others. You need beginner's mind to release the perfectionism so the script comes out cleaner than you can make it on your own. It's about allowing Spirit to flow through you.

We think that in order for Spirit to flow through us, we must be doing big, important, noble work. But imagine if everyone in the world allowed Spirit to flow through them regardless of what they were doing - while they were eating, watering the lawn, preparing a meal, saving lives, tossing out the trash, reading to their kids. It doesn't matter what you are doing, it's how you're doing it and Spirit can flow through you always.

I work late into the night and then fall asleep and dream that I am in one of Mary's classes about releasing ego. I am, ironically, the best in the class and I glow with pride. I'm sure you see the irony.

All of the beginner's mind stuff is slippery and remarkably enough, the more you realize that and let it go, the better you're getting at it. And if you recognize that and get peaceful with the confusion, you're back at square one - which is, of course, the point. But if you recognize that you're at square one and that's where you wanted to be all along and you feel good about it and you're not confused, you're not really there at all.

I'm still working it all out, but wanted to share. More next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment