Monday, July 13, 2009

Rain

Colorado is a dry state. Most years water is rationed and you are given guidelines.

We've had a good deal of rain this year so we haven't had to worry about watering - until the last couple weeks. I've been nagging myself - "I need to check on the watering schedule and set up the sprinkler!"

Yesterday I was chatting with a friend on the phone. She's like-spirited and inspiring - providing me with lots of great insights. But this time I wasn't present because I was looking at that damn lawn and beating up on myself about not getting to it yet.

As we spoke I looked up the watering schedule, thought about getting the sprinkler set up, wondered where I left the attachments last autumn...

I finally got to the "That's IT!" place with myself and told my friend I had to run. I got the water turned on, found the attachments and struggled with the muddy equipment. I got it all hooked up and positioned the sprinkler, turned it on and watched it hit too much of the sidewalk. Turned the water off, moved it a bit - nope, it's hitting the neighbors car. Moved it again - perfect! I grabbed my book and kept an eye on the time. After 30 minutes I moved went through the same routine - moving the sprinkler, turning the water on, then off and adjusting. Then on ... and off... every 30 minutes. I'm sure it looked like some ridiculous dance! Needless to say, it was hard too get into my book about being open to Spirit!

The sun was amazing and I got to wave to the neighbors as they were coming and going on their Sunday errands. After two hours, I washed off the equipment, turned off the water, coiled the hose up, removed the sprinkler, stored everything and came inside.

I sat down to chat with my husband and within 15 minutes a huge clap of thunder came out of nowhere as if to say "watch THIS!!!" The skies opened up and thoroughly, perfectly, watered my lawn. It stopped just as abruptly an hour later.

I laughed out loud as I grasped the meaning. When we do what we need to do to allow Spirit to flow through us, life also flows. When we fill our days with busy work, we are never still enough to tune in.

If we spend just a bit of time each morning connecting to Spirit and getting that flow started, things fall into place. It is in this way that we find, fully know and live our purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment